These days, it is essential to reorganize a company’s knowledge base due to the ever-changing nature of information related to its goods and services. In this regard, organizations can opt for a structured system to effectively manage knowledge to perform specific tasks automatically. In this article, we will thoroughly discuss knowledge based systems, their use case, different types, benefits, and possible challenges.
What is a Knowledge Based System?
A knowledge based system is an interdisciplinary approach that utilizes innovative technology and machine learning to enhance efficiency in a business. However, employing artificial intelligence, they create a centralized repository gathering data and information from different sources. These systems assist in making a well-informed decision by providing historical background, best practices, and relevant data.
Companies can get help in problem-solving and troubleshooting with the best solutions that are based on past experiences and expertise. You can reduce the risk of human errors in data transmission while sharing knowledge across the organization with these systems. Additionally, they store and offer policies, training materials, and procedures during onboarding and training sessions of employees.
What are Knowledge Based Systems Used For?
The versatility of a knowledge base management system comprises a wide range of purposes across different industries and domains. In addition to collecting, organizing, storing, and sharing information, they are used in multiple ways, as given below:
- Document Management: These systems manage documents by storing manuals, guides, policies, reports, and other essential files electronically in an accessible format. Likewise, with efficient categorization and tagging of up-to-date information, users can access version control features.
- Customer Support: The knowledge base systems have a dedicated section for FAQs, troubleshooting guides, and product information. Moreover, they enhance the search functionality when a customer enters a keyword by offering multimedia support for clarity.
- Sales and Marketing: With perfect product descriptions and sales scripts, these systems boost productivity. Plus, marketing agents can access competitive analysis reports to compare their products with others. The generated content of these tools is usually SEO optimized, reaching a wider audience.
- Compliance and Regulatory Information: Companies can ensure access to their employees’ legal and regulatory information. The systems maintain the history for auditing purposes, including tools essential to monitor an organization’s compliance under relevant laws.
Top Types of Knowledge Based Systems
Now that we know what is a knowledge based system and its use cases in various fields, we understand that it is a relatively easy term. After availing itself of its specifications for specific purposes, this system is used for several computer programs. To fulfill your needs, you will learn about different types of knowledge-based systems in this section.
1. Medical Diagnosis Systems
Medical diagnosis systems are helpful in diagnosing medical conditions of patients, diseases, and disorders. These systems with innovative algorithm technology utilize medical knowledge and combine it with patient data and diagnose accurately in time. Moreover, these systems let you know the risk factors by known relationships and generate a hypothesis. It recommends treatment and medical options once it is done with diagnosis.
2 Eligibility Analysis Systems
Eligibility analysis systems enable you to evaluate whether an individual or organization fulfills the criteria for your specific needs. Thus, this knowledge based management system induces rules and eligibility requirements and assesses them against the user’s input to make determinations. In addition, you also get a detailed explanation of outlines showing which criteria are met and suggest additional required information.
3. Hypertext Manipulation Systems
Hypertext is a structure that includes hyperlinks, allowing users to access their desired information across different sections of content. So, the hypertext manipulation systems are used to generate, edit, and manage those documents that include hyperlinks to make the connection seamless. In addition, these systems allow the infusion of multimedia elements to the content for enhancing interaction and connection.
4. Expert Systems
Expert systems are the most popular and common knowledge based system that uses AI technology to mimic the capabilities of human experts. You can use this copied expertise to solve a problem and make a decision in a specific domain. Moreover, these systems infuse a set of rules and an inference engine to apply logical reasoning to the provided data for drawing conclusions and generating solutions like a professional.
Benefits and Challenges of Knowledge Based Systems
Artificial intelligence is paving its way into every industry and domain with innovation and enhanced capabilities. In the same way, AI-enhanced knowledge based management systems provide users with the potential advantage of making their tasks more accessible than ever before. On the other hand, using these systems is not without any challenges that cause significant problems.
- The knowledge based system enhances productivity by providing quick solutions, allowing users to focus on their core tasks.
- In a business-to-consumer setting, these systems advance the delivery of goods and services, ensuring efficiency when experts are unavailable.
- These systems accelerate innovation by reducing time spent on repetitive work and facilitating faster decision-making.
- You can increase operational efficiency with optimized time management and resource allocation systems.
- Administrators often face the challenge of sourcing and maintaining accurate and extensive data, as the quality and quantity of data directly impact the accuracy of its inference.
- Dependence on accurate data can be a challenge, as incorrect or outdated information can lead to erroneous conclusions.
- Knowledge based system design and data quality are critical challenges that need to unlock their full potential for development.
- Anomalies like redundant rules can undermine reasoning ability and potentially lead to erroneous results.
Enhancing Knowledge Base Systems with Docuo
If you want to get an enhanced experience of creating a knowledge base for your company, Docuo should be your preferred choice. Moreover, as an AI-integrated knowledge based management system, it enhances and creates all types of knowledge bases. You can get straightforward version control, allowing users to monitor document changes with a well-preserved history for future reference.
Further, it encourages collaboration for a consistent and branded document environment. You can access easy cross-file type searches and simplified crowdsourced solutions. Administrators can customize the homepage to their preferences, simplifying content curation without requiring any expertise. In addition, this software combines with ChatGPT for automated documentation, allowing users to dedicate their time to coding.
- Offers centralized product documentation for increased accessibility.
- Allows easy tracking of document changes with a maintained history.
- Facilitates users with pre-designed templates and themes.
- Enhances writing quality by fixing spelling and grammar errors.
- Provides multilingual support for document translation into English.